The Ottawa Gatineau Hotel Association members are deeply involved in community activities and support a number of charitable causes at a property level and through OGHA led activities. Special OGHA community projects include:
- Shepherds of Good Hope
Hoteliers Have Heart
- OGHA Scholarships
OGHA members support the operation of Roger’s House at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario by providing valuable resources such as bathroom supplies, bedding, towels, furniture, and staff support to shampoo carpets and conduct routine facility maintenance.
OGHA members actively support dozens of local causes and events to help to build strong communities and to create an outstanding city to live, work and visit.
Hoteliers Have Heart Campaign
Valentines Day is a special day for the hotel community. That is the day OGHA members undertake to provide sufficient food and supplies to fill the Shepherds of Good Hope freezers, coolers and storage areas.
On February 14th of each year OGHA members arrive with a transport trailer full of frozen foods, canned goods, dry goods, fresh fruits, vegetables and dairy products. Tons of food is delivered to the Shepherds of Good Hope this day to assist them in feeding the less fortunate in our community. After the shelves are stocked hotel General Managers serve lunch and clean up dishes, pots and pans.
Peter Wilson, Campaign Chair, reported the 2017 Hoteliers Have Heart Campaign in aid of Shepherds of Good Hope was the most successful yet. Here are some stats:
• McCain foods donated close to $6000 worth of product this year which was fantastic , it shows their commitment to our cause.
• Van Houtte Coffee came through with a $1200 donation
• Esslinger Foods with a $500 donation as well.
• Along with their donation of $750-$800 in product, GFS continues its many years of support with providing the truck and two staff members to help to unload.
Hoteliers should be proud as the OGHA team gathered approximately 12 tons of food (give or take a few pounds). All those involved with unloading the truck were exhausted by the time the cab was empty. It was a very cold day. Can you imagine how much colder it is when you are hungry and homeless?
OGHA Supports Education In Hospitality
Educational programs in support of the hospitality industry at our local Community Colleges are important to our future. Both Algonquin College and La Cité Collègiale offer programs in hotel management as well as food and beverage that help in providing the highly skilled employees required to maintain our region’s reputation for outstanding hospitality.
Each year OGHA awards a $2,000 Scholarship to a student with financial needs at each college who:
- Is registered in the Hotel & Restaurant Management Program, or the Culinary Management Program.
- Has completed one year of study and achieved a grade point average of B or higher.
- Has expressed and demonstrated an orientation towards working in the hotel industry upon graduation.
In addition, OGHA members participate on Advisory Committees and the Board of Governors of Algonquin College and La Cité Collègiale.